Not So Comfortably Numb

Just some thoughts from a guy with an overactive mind...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Bridge to Terabithia

This is another children's book turned movie. Several months ago, when I saw the previews for this movie, I thought it looked really good and wanted to see it.

However, before seeing movies based on books, I prefer to have read the book(s) first. So I went and bought this book a few months ago... and it met the same fate so many of my other books have met before it. In other words, the book sat on my bookshelf, unopened, for quite some time.

I was semi-tired last night (read: this morning) but not enough to actually go to sleep, so I decided that I'd read the book. It's really short (around 160 pages) so I figured I'd read it all the way through.

This book is amazing! (It's no Harry Potter, but still...) It is absolutely nothing like I thought it would be. I thought it was going to be more Narnia-ish... but it turned out to be more like Pan's Labyrinth.

The only negative thing I have to say about the story is the author's take on a certain (major) theological issue. I'd say more about it... but I don't want to spoil the book for those who haven't read it. I believe that small section of the book could've been taken away and the story would've still been amazing.

All in all I would definitely recommend reading this book. You can get a copy of it for around $7 (maybe cheaper if you buy online). It's definitely worth it.

Now I need to wait for the movie to come out to Blockbuster.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about, instead of buying it, I'll just borrow yours? :)

22 May, 2007 20:21  
Blogger Nathan said...

Yes, that works too. :)
You'll be able to read the entire book in about 2 hours or so... depending on how fast you read.

23 May, 2007 05:34  
Blogger southcutt said...

I remember reading (and very much enjoying) that book years ago...around fourth grade, I think. I don't really remember much about it, though.

24 May, 2007 00:35  
Blogger Elli said...

This was one of my favorite books as a kid, and I remember it being the first book that actually made me cry. Still haven't seen the movie yet, I wasn't in the mood for the sadness at the end.

28 May, 2007 16:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katherine Paterson based the novel off of real events in her son's life. Which is one reason I would assume that chapter is in there. That chapter is also one of the reason it has been banned from many, many schools. But it is a wonderful book! - Laura

17 July, 2007 11:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home