Not So Comfortably Numb

Just some thoughts from a guy with an overactive mind...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Car Rental

I tried to find a car rental place that was open on a Sunday. I needed a car before Monday so I would be able to drive to work. After about 30 minutes of looking in the Yellow Pages and making several phone calls, I finally found one that was open (and wasn't located at the airport).

The name of the place is Longhorn Car & Truck Rental.

My insurance company told me that they will pay a rental place $20 a day... up to $600 dollars. As I walked into the rental place, I told the guy I needed a car since mine was in a wreck. He told me that it would cost just shy of $40 a day.

This didn't appear to be good news, because that meant that I'd be out however much money until my car was fixed (or until I get a new one). The guy then asked if I had already arranged something with the insurance agency. I told him that I had not. So he got on the phone and got all the information he would need from my insurance people.

After all the paperwork was signed he handed me a receipt. I looked at it and noticed something that said "$15". I asked him if this was what I would be paying per day since my insurance company only pays $20 a day. They guy then told me that I wouldn't be paying anything. He said that their company likes insurance rentals so whatever the insurance is willing to pay, that's all they charge.

So, anyone in the Austin area who has been in a wreck and needs to rent a car, I would definitely recommend the Longhorn Car & Truck Rental company. The staff was real nice, and they got me into a car within 10 minutes.

I'm looking forward to hearing from my claims adjuster. I would like to know how much the repairs are going to cost, or if the car is totaled.

However, I have decided that if it is totaled I'm going to buy a new Toyota Yaris (liftback). It gets 40 miles per gallon... and I think it looks cool. :)

In case you're wondering what it looks like... here's a picture:


If my car is not totaled... then I'll keep it for now and just buy a Yaris later. Unless, of course, I find a car I like better down the road.

1 Comments:

Blogger southcutt said...

I'd be cautious about buying a Yaris...that's a brand-new model and I think I read they were having some build-quality issues with it. If you are going to be buying a car, let me know, and I'll try to find the info.

Anyway, it's always a better value to buy used...get another Corolla, or better, a Civic.

26 March, 2007 08:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home