Not So Comfortably Numb

Just some thoughts from a guy with an overactive mind...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

I Hate This Kind of BS

In case some of you haven't heard about this yet, Ray Nagin (the Mayor of New Orleans) said this in a speach on MLK day:

"I don't care what people are saying Uptown or wherever they are. This city will be chocolate at the end of the day," he said. "This city will be a majority African-American city. It's the way God wants it to be."

I don't have a problem with free speech. In fact, I think it's a wonderful thing. However, I must ask myself "Do we really have freedom of speech?"

The answer is "No, we don't."

Why do I say this? Well... think about it this way. What would happen if a white mayor said "This city will be bleach white at the end of the day. This city will be majority white city. It's the way God wants it to be."?

Holy crap... I can hear the media uproar in my head. I can see the NAACP crying their hearts out to get this white mayor fired. People from all over this nation would rise up and speak out against this "racist" man.

If we're going to have equality in this country... then we need to treat everyone equal. A white mayor would've been booted from his position as mayor if he would've said something like that... therefore... if we're going to treat everyone equal then Ray Nagin should be booted from his office.

I can't stand this whole "race issue". There isn't an issue to be concerned about. Blacks in this country have every (well... more) opportunity a white person does. People complain that black people aren't getting into schools because of racism. Well... shouldn't we find out how many black people applied? I think that might be an important bit of information. If the majority of blacks are not accepted into college, then I will concede my point. However, I highly doubt this is the case.

You can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I'm sick and tired of all this talk of racism. Let it go. I'm sorry that my great great great grand-pappy Smith enslaved your great great great grand-pappy Mwalimu.
But that was a long time ago. It's time to move on.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

well, there is such a thing a white chocolate too.

09 February, 2006 10:46  
Blogger Nathan said...

'Tis true... but white chocolate is not real chocolate.

Although that reminds me... I want to make a shirt like one of my friends made back in NC.

It was a plain white t-shirt with the words "White Chocolate" written in black permanent marker.

09 February, 2006 14:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you understand? Only white people can be racist. Black can hate whites for being white because of slavery 2 and half centuries ago. Same way the Israelies can hate Egyptians. See, the rule is, if a people group was at any point in history, enslaved by another, then the group that was enslaved has the right to wear a chip on their shoulder for all eternity. Don't you know that when the blacks get to heaven the white folk are going to be their servants? I can't believe people haven't figured this out yet.

10 February, 2006 22:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home